Table of Contents
General Competitor Analysis Tools
Similar Web is the perfect free tool for competitor’s traffic overview. What’s good about it?
- Uncover details about SEO and SEM strategies your competitors use
- Learn about their affiliate and media partnership
- Find which Social Networks are sending traffic to their website
- See what’s interesting for your competitor’s website audience
- Find other similar websites
Alexa gives you alike insights. However, it’s the best practice to check your competitor’s website in both tools and compare results. Alexa can
- Get website traffic statistics and performance metrics for other sites
- Compare traffic sources and engagement metrics
- Reveal related websites
- Top keywords from search engines
Competitor Technology Stack And Tracking Pixels
BuiltWith is a free tool for revealing marketing software stack your competitor is using. For example
- Web analytics: Google Analytics
- Product analytics: Amplitude
- AB testing: Optimizely
- User behaviour: Hotjar
- CRM software: Salesforce
- Tracking pixels: Google Ads, Facebook, Twitter, DoubleClick Floodlight, Rocket Fuel DSP
- Tag management: Google Tag Manager
SimilartTech is similar to BuiltWith and is powered by exclusive data partnership with almighty SimilarWeb.
Whatruns extension for Google Chrome helps you identify technologies used on any website at the click of a button. Very handy and usually is enough for a quick analysis of a random competitor. Our choice.
Keyword Analysis Tools
Google Ads Keyword Planner is free and easy to use. The best part is that you’re pulling keywords directly from Google. On the other hand, Google made it harder to get accurate data by introducing search volume ranges and grouping keywords with similar meaning.
SEMRush has taken a unique approach to keyword research by assembling all the essential keyword research tools one could ever ask for in one place – the Keyword Magic tool. Entering just one seed keyword will be enough for you to build a whole keyword empire around it.
Owletter collates your competitor’s newsletters and homepages into a dashboard, giving you a searchable database that keeps your inbox free.
Mailcharts saves you the trouble of secretly subscribing to your competition’s emails and spending hours trying to find something actionable.
OpenLinkProfiler is a free link research tool that enables you to check the backlinks of any website. Works awesome considering it’s free.
Ahrefs backlinks checker is arguably the best in the market. Ahrefs has the fastest backlink crawler in the industry and boasts the world’s biggest index of live backlinks (over 15 trillion links).
A/B Testing Tool
iSpionage. Knowing when your competitors are conducting A/B tests can be invaluable. iSpionage offers an insight into their campaigns and approach, while giving you a warning system if they’re about to try something new. iSpionage offers this as part of their $99/month package along with a bunch of other features. Certainly worth a look.
Prisync tracks competitor prices and available stock automatically and reports this in a web dashboard or e-mail alert. A free account is available, paid starts from $49/month.
Amzscout is a powerful tool for getting insights on the competitor product performance on Amazon.
- Get estimated sales in just one click to analyze the niche
- Get historical data of price and rank changing
- Analyze listing quality
- Estimate revenue and obtain more data for your product sourcing
- Analyze Google trends on every product you’re researching
- Calculate your estimated income
Mentions, Social tool, and brand monitoring
Brandwatch Analytics discovers vital insights within the billions of conversations happening online every day. It can
- Search the web for reviews, articles, comments, and conversations
- Use rules to segment data into categories relevant to your business
- Break down and analyze the data to discover something you didn’t know
- React in real-time with instant email alerts
Google Alerts is one of the quickest and easiest tools you can use to track mentions and alerts. There are several things you can monitor with Google Alerts:
- Brand monitoring. Alerts will let you stay up-to-date with what your customers or clients are saying about you
- Competitor monitoring. It’s just as important to stay knowledgeable about your competitors as it is for your own brand. You can quickly learn if they release a new feature or get any positive/negative press
- Industry monitoring. Alerts can also help you stay up-to-date on general industry trends. Get alerted to events, attitude shifts, or new entrants as soon as they happen
Mention is great for monitoring the web, social media, forums, and blogs to learn more about your brand and your industry. Mention is great for
- Media monitoring
- Social Media monitoring
- Competitive analysis
- Influencer marketing
Sprout Social is an intelligent, real-time Social Media monitoring software. It allows you to
- Bring all your messages from your Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and Instagram profiles into a single stream
- Enhance your social media monitoring with Brand Keywords that uncover valuable social engagement opportunities
- Configure the Smart Inbox with profile, message type, keyword and date filters to quickly find what you need
- Create custom tags and apply them to incoming messages to better organize and report on social monitoring efforts
Zoho Social is a real-time social media monitoring tool. It can
- Monitor keywords and hashtags
- Discover new leads
- Listen about what’s being said about your brand across social networks
AgoraPulse is another alternative for monitoring social media accounts of your competitors. It can
- Track mentions on Facebook
- Monitor keywords on Twitter
- Monitoring hashtags and locations on Instagram
Brand24 gives you instant access to mentions about your brand across the web
SocialBlade can help you track YouTube channel statistics, Twitch user stats, Instagram stats, and much more. Also offers a handy Google Chrome extension.
Content Discovery Tools
Buzzsumo is a must for analyzing what content performs best for any topic or competitor. It can
- Track your competitor’s content performance and do detailed comparisons
- Be the first to see content mentioning your keyword; or when an author or competitor publishes new content
- Discover the most shared content across all social networks and run detailed analysis reports
- Find influencers in any topic area, review the content they share and amplify
SEMRush gives you access to valuable data on your competitors’ PPC marketing activities, their budgets, their best keywords, their most profitable ad copies, banners, creatives, and their AdWords and Bing Ads usage trends.
iSpionage allows you to review the top keywords, top ads, and top landing pages your competition is using in their Google Ads and Bing campaigns.
Whatrunswhere provides you with the digital ad intelligence you need to spend your dollars more efficiently and grow your business.
- Stay up-to-date on the ins and outs of your competitors’ strategies
- Understand key trends across desktop, mobile and native channels
- See the top performing creatives in your market or niche
- Easily identify winning campaigns to inform your own strategy
Google Chrome must have extensions for competitive analysis
|9 Steps Guide On Creating A Great Marketing Strategy||How to create a powerful marketing plan|
|Marketing tools for competitive research||11 free digital marketing and growth tools. Part #2|
|Digital marketing tools. Part #1|